Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When to have your Fitting??

When is the appropriate time to have your first fitting? Since Groomzilla wanted to have no part in sharing the same house with my dress, when it first arrived to Florida I immediately stowed it away at a girlfriends house and have not really thought about it since. At that time I had made a call to a bridal salon who does wedding dress alterations and her assistant said I could have my first fitting within two months of the wedding date. I guess I just took her word for it not thinking that maybe my dress would or could need more time for her to make alterations?

Should I call and schedule an initial consultation so the seamstress can see what she is up against or is two months out from your wedding date the norm for your first fitting?

When did you have your first fitting??


I'd love to hear from you. Email questions, comments, or photos to blogzillabride@gmail.com

12 comments:

Megan said...

The place that I ordered my dress from also told me about two months out is when you should have your first fitting. When I initially ordered my dress they said that you should always allow 6-8 weeks for alterations. So I guess that falls right in that time frame. I think they just tell you the maximum amount of time that it could take, but I think depending on your alterations it could take less time. Overall, I think that 2 months out is a good amount of time for them to fix everything they need to.

Unknown said...

I purchased mine in September and brought it for Alterations in April. My wedding was July. We were doing bridal portraits in May, so I had to get it done early. With a March Wedding I would say after the first of the year. :)

k... said...

I'm doing my first fitting at the end of the month for or November nuptials. I think that should be enough time.

Laura said...

I don't know when I'll be having my first fitting. I guess whenever I'm in town. That's what I get for living 3000 miles away from my dress.

I think they said less than two months actually. And that I would have three fittings. I should have written it all down. First bridal fail. Oops.

Danielle said...

I'm having my first fitting this Sunday and our wedding is November 12th of this year. I've always heard that around 2 months is the ideal time to go for one.

Heather said...

I think that should be plenty of time, and most brides go for three fittings in total. You don't want to go much earlier than two months, because even slight changes in weight can affect the fit. I had a unique situation with ordering a second dress that didn't arrive until a month before my wedding, so I did all three fittings starting just two weeks ahead of time. Talk about nerve-wracking!

The Reluctant Bride said...

Yeah, I think two months is plenty of time! If you're nervous (like you have a lot of big alterations you want done), there's certainly no harm in scheduling it early. But it's also a balancing act: you want the dress ready pretty close to your wedding, just in case you gain or lose any weight. I started alterations about two months out, and I took my dress home exactly two weeks before the wedding. Perfect timing!

Jemima Kickypants said...

All the stories I hear claim that they get it done no matter the task. I've also heard stories of women needing three fittings and still getting it all done in two months. Those cute little alterations ladies are legit. I think it's because they tell you two months and then they dare you to second guess them; like "What? you don't think I can get it done in two months? Wanna' bet??" I think you're good.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

my friends did theirs a few months in advance..one had to have 3 fittings!

Diana said...

Two months sounds like a good time, also it will be close enough but not too far away that too many changes of your body will happen. I think thats about when I had my first fitting.

eliz said...

My dress will be here at the end of the month....eeeks! but They told me no alterations until January but that is because I am adding sleeves and whatnot...I think 2 months is enough time!

Saying I do said...

I had my first fitting in january or Feb. for my may wedding. Will your dress need a lot of alterations you think? also: Make sure you have your shoes that you plan on wearing before you go for your fitting as well!