Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Honeymoon: Day 3 - Oahu

Day 3 Big Island to Oahu

Both D and I were up at 4:30 am because we could not sleep.  Around 6:30 am we packed our suitcases up and headed out to Hilo to catch our flight to Honolulu.  We got to Hilo early so we parked and walked around the small city.  I got a delicious bagel with cream cheese and pesto and a yummy coffee and of course D ate a pickle from the farmers market.


We said good-bye to the Grand Marquis

And boarded our flight where I was in POG (Passion, Orange, and Guava) Heaven.

We arrived to Honolulu and a shuttle took us to the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.  D checked us in while I drank about 8 glasses of the pineapple infused water (one of the many reasons I love staying at Marriott's is the different fruit flavored water every day.) 


 View from our room :)

 Once we changed and got cleaned up our plan was to head to Aloha Stadium where on every Wednesday they hold a giant Swap Meet and Marketplace, mostly a bunch of jewelry, food, clothes, etc.  D got the correct bus route from the concierge and we headed out to the bus stop.  D and I always like to do the local flair and see how locals live when we travel, so we considered taking the bus as an adventure.


We waited for at least a half hour for the bus and at this point I had to pee really bad (darn pineapple infused water), but I knew the second I ran inside to go, bus 42 would arrive.  Well after a little bit I could not wait any longer and I ran across the busy street to head into our hotel, and of course what do you know, I see bus 42 barreling down the street.  It was like a scene in a movie and in my head I could picture D's face fall as he saw me run away and then saw that bus 42 was coming, but I had stopped once I crossed the street and had seen it myself and was still standing on the other side of the street, so when the other bus pulled away, there I was standing waiting for the bus as well and D was so relieved to see me still standing there.

The ride on bus 42 seemed to take forever, and it did, we were on it for over an hour.  I had to take a photo of the bus as it pulled away from dropping us off.  I truly felt it was like the bus to nowhere.


And luck would have it as we are walking up to the stadium, all of the vendors were packing up for the day.  They still let us poke around and D managed to buy a T-shirt and I some fake $1.99 Twizzlers.  We at least had to buy something to make our long bus ride worth the while then me just using the restroom at the stadium.


Again we waited and boarded bus 42 to take us back to our hotel.  We got home, showered, changed, and went out for a nice walk along the beach and the city.  


We caught the end of a sunset

We had a nice dinner which I only remembered to photograph after we were done eating

They gave us a free honeymoon dessert in the shape of a heart

We window shopped through some markets where I bought an awesome pocket watch necklace.  D later referred to me as Flavor-Flav for the rest of the trip (pics of the Flav tomorrow). 

We saw these silly people get in these blown up balloons and thrash around in a pool of water. I was afraid they would suffocate. 


Honolulu was a lot more commercialized than I had imagined but it was still beautiful.

We retired to our room for a good nights sleep.  Tomorrow we head to Pearl Harbor on the dreaded bus 42 again!

5 comments:

Whitney Parks said...

Sorry you missed the market!!

Heather said...

Looks great! We didn't get to spend much time on Oahu, though we did get to visit Pearl Harbor. I hope to go back someday to spend more time on the island.

Mary Ellen said...

This is just great to follow your trip. Both dad and I are enjoying your posts.

Saying I do said...

I want to go in those blow up balls! Though it seems harder than it looks. Just caught up on all your recaps, what an awesome trip!

eliz said...

ahhh I been behind your recaps...I seen those bubbles before..scary...I would freak out!