Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cute Story for the Kids/Horror Story for the Groom

David had taken my request seriously to call my father to ask for my hand in marriage, sounds easy enough right? Without knowing my father I suppose it may be kind of hard to make that judgment. I love my father more than anything and his quirks are what make him the unique man that he is and that much more loveable.

I can’t imagine the nerves associated with having to call your future father in law and ask for his daughters hand in marriage. The doubts and images of him saying “No” would be running through my head and my heart would be beating just as fast. I imagine this was a similar feeling David was experiencing that Tuesday night when I was out with my girlfriends as he made that highly anticipated call to my dad to ask him one of the most important questions of his life.

I am only telling this story second hand but knowing my father it is quite easy to picture. That Tuesday night my dad answered the phone which is somewhat unusual. The nephews were at the house so there was a lot of background noise “so John says”. David says hello to my father and introduces himself as David, (notice the comma for intended pause) Tiffany’s boyfriend. My father can not seem to understand who this person is and why are they calling to tell him that David Tiffany (the name of a man whom also lives in our 2 stop light town) has a boyfriend! He is assuming this is a prank call and that someone is playing a joke on him. Meanwhile my David is completely mortified on the other end thinking how can the father of the woman I am about to ask to marry me have not a clue who I am after spending many holidays and family occasions at his house?!?!

Once David was finally able to explain to my father that he was indeed not David Tiffany’s boyfriend but David, his daughter Tiffany’s boyfriend, he said what he needed to say and the rest is history.

I can’t even begin to imagine the confused look on David’s face after he hung up the phone with my dad. He then immediately called my bff Kiki who wrote it off to David as “John just being John” and that he is hard of hearing from working with loud machinery all his life. God, I love you Kiki!

So the pressing question still remains: Who the HEC is David Tiffany and does he really have a boyfriend??

My sister, my dad, and I at a wedding a few years ago



Proud Dad at my beautiful sisters wedding a few months ago

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I didn't hear that part of the story! I knew he called John but didn't know about the confusion, haha.

HazAlice said...

Honestly it's even more funny hearing it for the 10th time. I love this story. Glad you shared it..... xoxo

Waggles said...

Poor Dave…but yes, great story. I still cannot believe that happened. I love the pictures you posted!

Karen Pompea said...

Your mother told me that story and I laughed so hard and can totally picture John doing that......it is still funny to hear it again......we need to keep bringing this up at family gatherings so they can stop picking on me and my faux pas!