Monday, April 16, 2012

Honeymoon: Day 1 and 2 - Big Island of Hawaii

Day one - Arrive to Big Island of Hawaii

I didn't sleep much the night before we were supposed to leave for Hawaii, my body was tired but my mind was not and I was afraid if I fell into a deep enough sleep I wouldn't wake up for our 7 am flight. But we did and we got off without a hitch.

We arrived to the Big Island around 2 pm and I guess I had seen far too many episodes of Saved By the Bell in Hawaii but I was half fully expecting to be greeted by beautiful Hawaiian women in long grass skirts, coconut bras, who were putting leis around our necks once we walked off the tarmac but unfortunately this was not the case at all.

We grabbed our luggage and got our rental car..Um what? We are a new married couple, not an old married couple..Yes a Grand Marquis..it was all they had, apparently not many individuals vacation on the big island, but it suited our needs for two days.

We arrived to the Marriott, received an upgrade and some chocolate macadamia nuts for the new Mr. and Mrs. which I of course immediately plunged into.

We were so tired as we had not slept in two days and were still coming down from the wedding high/glow. We both tried to make the best of it, slipped on our bathing suits, and headed for the nearest pool lounge chair.

View from our hotel room
I photographed my new set of bling, which I don't think I ever blogged about, mental note to do that.

I was greedy and purchased not one but two bands. The bottom one is my actual wedding band, then my engagement ring and then the top band is the matching band to my engagement ring and holds everything securely in place. At least that's how I justified getting two bands :)


We relaxed at the pool for a short time and headed back up to the room with the plan of resting for a bit, showering, and going to get something to eat. But as soon as our heads hit the pillow at 5 pm we didn't wake back up until 2 am (which would be 8 am Florida time). Jet lag. I popped an Advil PM and was again out for the count until 5am.

Day 2 - Big Island

We rose early enough to catch the sunrise over the mountain from our hotel room. Packed up our suitcases and drove the 2.5 hours to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Since we had phone access it was very difficult to stay off of Facebook and email since all the pics from the wedding were coming in. We were very guilty of this.
Sunrise from hotel room

D was driving, I was photographing

One of D's long time clients sponsored us to stay at a military camp right in the volcano park for the night. We were able to stay in this adorable little cottage while we explored the volcano's. It worked out perfectly for what we needed since it was literally right on the volcanoes in which we wanted to explore.

Our cottage #30

Lava Tube - was rainy and cold on the Big Island

Active Volcano Crater

Yeppers we hiked down this and across the active volcano



I kinda started to think D took me on honeymoon to kill me


We drove an hour at night to see the glow of the lava and did a little off-roading in the Marquis

And we could see the lava glowing and flowing..it was really neat! That is rain not snow!

I fell asleep on the car ride home, God love D for doing all the driving and having an exceptional sense of direction! We retired to our cottage and crashed for the night to be ready for our flight to Honolulu early the next morning.

I'd love to hear from you. Email questions, comments, or photos to blogzillabride@gmail.com

8 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love your honeymoon recap! I can't wait for the next one. It looks like so much fun and I love that you explored... active volcanoes?? so cool! your rings are beautiful!

J and A said...

Looks awesome, I so want to go there. Your rings are atunning!!

Heather said...

Looks like such a great time! I love the big island and am hoping to go there again later this year to celebrate my in-laws anniversary.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Looks like an awesome trip so far. your bling is AMAZING :) and i loved those saved by the bell episodes, haha

Mary Ellen said...

It all looks wonderful Tiff, well maybe except for the car! Great photos too. Keep them coming. Love you you both.

Saying I do said...

WOWZA I LOVE your rings :) They look exceptional all together, good choice.

And this trip looks awesome! what a neat idea to stay at a volcano park! Can't wait to read more!

Whitney Parks said...

cant wait to read more!! Also, I love your bands!

Holly said...

I am loving all the recaps so far! I really cant wait to someday go to hawaii. so beautiful!