We were up at 1:45 am after only 3 hours of sleep. We made the hour drive over to the volcano and met the shuttle and drivers at the bike shop. Two very nice guys geared us up with gloves, helmets, rain gear, backpacks, etc. and warned us of the colder climate on the top of the volcano.
We piled into the van and made the hour plus ride up the volcano in the shuttle. Our driver Mike was super nice but it was 4:30 in the morning, and for the love of God he did not want to stop talking! D and I got split up and he was riding in the front of the van and I kept nodding off and falling asleep on a strangers shoulder in the seat behind D.
We got to the top of the volcano and it was 43 degrees and then the wind chill on top of that, so needless to say I was FREEZING! Mike basically had to push me out of the van to go watch the sunrise. The sun rose at 6:09 am so we waited inside the gift shop until that sun wanted to peak over the clouds.
I was not prepared for this weather when I packed for honeymoon!
We all piled back into the van and Mike dropped us off at 6,500 feet, gave us our bikes and sent us on our merry ways. We purposely booked an unguided tour so we could go as fast or as slow as we wanted. But it was COLD so D and I whizzed down that volcano so fast and barely stopped to take any pictures. Once we started nearing the bottom and it started to warm up we started tearing layers of clothes off little by little.
Please excuse the no makeup and been up since 2 am in this hot helmet look
We were way cool in the motorcycle helmets
Layers peeled off and reaching warmer climate
We rode through a town and hit a cute little deli for some coffee and breakfast sandwiches and then completed the ride to the bottom, turned our gear in and headed back to the hotel where we both took the best nap. It was only 10:00 am and we had already done so much so a nap was well deserved.
We woke up from our nap and hit the pool. I finished yet another book. We went for a beach walk to look for whales, we sat in the grass in front of Duke's and people watched, it was just so nice and carefree not to have any responsibilities or a care in the world and for once not having to be anywhere at a certain time.
My $3.99 hat
View from hotel and the insane koi pond with enormous koi fish
We went home, showered and got ready for dinner. D found a cool place called Aloha Mixed Plate on the beach. We had some drinks while we waited for our table and then ate a casual dinner of pure yumminess. We retired home to bed.
Day 11 - Maui
D woke up early and wanted to see the Phillies opening day game so he found a bar that was showing the game that early, I was fine with that, after all, he had already spent 10 days nonstop with me :-p. I had a lazy morning to myself, woke up, had coffee and read my book on the lanai.
D returned and we had a nice nap on the couch, then headed out to the pool. It was windy and overcast so it was nice and easy to find a chair in a shady spot.
We came back, showered, and got ready for dinner in what I joked was my tween outfit. D had researched and found Kimo's so that's where we planned to eat dinner.
We had our nightly pre-dinner drink on the lanai
We had an AMAZING meal of calamari, salads, D had mahi mahi stuffed with lobster and I had the kushiyaki which were chicken, steak, and veggie teriyaki kabobs.
After dinner we walked around and poked into some more shops, and then headed home for bed and fell fast asleep.
I'd love to hear from you. Email questions, comments, or photos to blogzillabride@gmail.com
6 comments:
Oh such fun just reading your post. The views, the food, everything looks amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us all in this marvelous loop.
Man, you are making me miss Hawaii!
wow! that sunrise trip sounds awesome but man I woulda been TIRED!! You certainly took advantage of everything you could while you were there.
PS I LOVE your "tween" dress :)
OMG, we thought about doing the sunrise trip but were also worried about the cold. We drove up there mid-day on our own, though, and at least got to enjoy the beautiful view!
Love the dress you wore to Kimos!
AH! This is like deja vu! :) We ate at Kimos there too!! It was beyond amazing! Looks like you had a fabulous honeymoon! Makes me want to go back! Maui has my heart! <3
xo
Post a Comment