Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Non-Wedding Wednesday

From Fad Diets to Fad Fitness. Have you noticed lately the new craze in fitness seems to be moving towards wild and unconventional? As fast as the Atkins, South beach, and Zone diets came and went so did Pilates, Yoga, and Spinning. Now the gym class schedules are filled with Zumba and Antigravity Yoga classes in which consist of performing yoga poses while suspended midair in a hammock (sounds somewhat dangerous to me). What happened to just good old fashioned free forms of exercise like walking or jogging outside or doing pushups in your living room? I can’t help but wonder if these fad forms of fitness are any way similar to fad diets in which some proved to be effective but most are not.

What are your thoughts on fad fitness? Have you added any of these fad fitness methods to your fitness routines and found them to be successful?

4 comments:

RHODIE said...

Okay to be fair Zumba is AWESOME!! And this is coming from an non rhythm person! That hammock thing is way out there. But I like a something a little different. I'm not a runner and I don't like the gym much. (I'm afraid in the upcoming weeks I will have to go...) but I'll try almost anything once!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

zumba is soo fun! you should try it :) but this upside down thing? totally not for me. haha.

Monica Gehllar said...

I've been practicing yoga for over 10 years now and I would leaning toward saying this antigravity one is a fad. Although my exercise routine currently consists of a yoga warm up and then 30 minutes on the treadmill while watching Access Hollywood... so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to a assess.

Waggles said...

I would like to try hot yoga!